Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

From the classroom: Where babies come from

I've been meaning to share this story for the longest time.

Picture this, blue skies and a sunny day. Another teacher and I had gathered outside with our classes to make the most of the early Spring weather and share lunch. I teach grade 1/2 and we are paired up with buddy grades, in my case year 3/4s.

So my tummy was just starting to show at this stage, and the other teacher decided to play a little game.
She stuck her tummy out fat and said, "Now kids, which one of us looks the most pregnant?".

They didn't skip a beat and started to yell out that they already knew that it was me.

There was then an interesting discussion with a boy that I taught a few years ago.

J- We know that it can't be you Miss D.
Miss D- Really? Why is that?
J- Well, because you aren't married!
Me- Hmm...you're right that lots of people are married before they have babies and that's what Mr X and I have chosen to do.  But not everyone is married when they have babies. In some families people choose to not be married.
J- But that's not right!
Miss D- Why's that?
J- Because... you know... that thing that happens... on the bed!

We did our best to keep it together and to try and move on, until another voice piped in... "Excuse me... I'm trying to eat my lunch here!"

Quite a funny moment, and an interesting one to explain.

I understood what J was getting at. Tobes and I chose to wait until we were married to have sex because we believe that's what God asks of us, and we were happy that we did wait. But I've also got the maturity and understanding to know that not everyone (in fact, few people) share our convictions. It's tricky explaining that to a little one.

What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog!
I love to read your comments and to know that you've been here. I always try to write back too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...