Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I played, I survived


source
NOT US!

Well, tonight was my first game of netball with the team of girls from school. We all teach in different areas of the school- either Prep, Juniors (grade 1/2), Middles (grade 3/4) or Seniors (grade 5/6). It's a great way that we can hang out socially and get some exercise too. 

Tonight I stepped out onto the court feeling a little apprehensive (ok... maybe a bit more than *little*... I had Toby come for moral support!). I think that it's been around 11 years since I've played netball! As a kid, I used to play every Saturday, from 11 years of age to around 20, and I loved it. But 11 years is a long time! 

I used to be a shooter, occasionally stepping into defense if we needed the height. In our team we have 2 awesome shooters in Ellen and Caroline, so my height is required in Goal Keeper. It suits me and my lack of fitness! 

Mind you, I think it will take me a while to get used to the modified rules and court (or cage) of indoor netball, complete with it's springy nets. Who knew that you couldn't touch the nets? Or that you can rebound the ball off them to pass? Or that you can shoot from outside the goal circle for 2 points? These little changes had me baffled and confused at first, but by the second half I was starting to remember what was going on. I managed to rebound a few balls and make a few interceptions. I certainly wasn't an MVP, but I did have a surprisingly good time and I'm looking forward to playing next week. My hip flexors and knees though may just have to catch up with my enthusiasm. Come to think of it, my overall fitness probably should get on board, but this consistent exercise should help with that.

Oh... and if you were wondering...

we won!   

1 comment:

  1. Yay for being brave and getting out there to have fun!

    Thanks for stopping by Marta Writes today and commenting on my guest post. I can't wait to re-visit your blog and see your list of instantly betterness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog!
I love to read your comments and to know that you've been here. I always try to write back too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...