Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Operation Christmas Child


This year at school once again we've been supporting Samaritan's Purse by putting together these boxes. They are filled with a range of items for children of varying ages. You specify on the lid of the decorated box a gender and age range for the recipient and they are then sent off all over the world to children in less fortunate situations than us.

It was suggested that each grade fill one box. You need to raise $9 per box for postage and so I suggested to my kids that they contribute something from their own money box and that they could ask their parents to match their contribution. I was amazed when P in my grade came in with $50 one morning and then with another $20 the following morning!  Others contributed money of their own and items for the boxes.

I took myself off to the dollar shop and K-Mart several afternoons later with their money and came back heavy laden with goodies for many boxes. T-shirts, socks, pencil cases, school supplies, face washers, tooth brushes, tennis balls, small cuddly toys- enough for 5 boxes and all for less than $50!

The grade and I loved putting the boxes together, carefully choosing which child would most appreciate certain items. The care that they showed throughout the process was inspiring. I teach in a very affluent area and these children have no need for anything material.  They take for granted their position so it was great to see their eyes and hearts be opened to others.

We sealed each box with a letter from the class and I prayed over each box too, that the child would find some joy and sense the love of Christ through each gift.  We'll never know the individual stories of those who received the boxes, and I'm sure that there are other ways that our funds could be used for greater impact, however this project is so tangible to my little 6-9 year olds and I know that they will always remember the experience. Hopefully it will inspire them to continue a habit of generosity and to think of those who are not as financially blessed as them over Christmas time.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Beck for reminding me...I've been wanting to do this with my class for awhile. This year, I think I have a class that would truly understand the importance of doing such a project. I'll have to look into it around here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog!
I love to read your comments and to know that you've been here. I always try to write back too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...